Wednesday, February 25, 2009

athoughtaboutart

What have I learned in the two years here at Sadcenter
(playful slang we sometimes use for Brandcenter)?
I've learned my view about art.
2 years ago, I wouldn't have cared.
I liked art.
I looked at art.
But I didn't have an opinion.
I didn't understand it at all.
(Not saying I do now, just saying I'm trying to).
I just liked aesthetically pleasing things.
Everybody does.
But that doesn't make art good.
I spent a couple hours thinking about art yesterday at a coffee shop.
And this is what I came up with.

Art must say something.
It must.
Or else it's just non-sensical drivel.
Music must sing.
Film must tell and explore.
Books must inform and inspire.
And art must observe.
It must comment.
'Cause w/o an opinion
Art is just drivel.
A clueless line on a desolate page.

And as I, myself, work my way through the drivel.
I found yesterday,
there in that coffee shop,
that one day I hope to make art.

No comments: