Thursday, February 21, 2008

Today I decided to write a poem

I woke up this morning in a sour mood. Grumpy. Sick. Feeling very hack-ish.
So, for my daily writing exercise, I decided to write a poem.

Poetry used to clog my bloodstream. All through high school and most of college blessed the world with notebooks full of poetry and songs. But for some reason, I stopped. And those notebooks are sittin’ in a box somewhere in my parents' basement I’m sure.

Anyway, here’s my thoughts and feelings from this morning. Well, at least how I felt at my core.


I used to write for me
Poem by Kris Kennedy

When was the last time I wrote from my heart
The last time I gave my brain the day off
And listened
With my eyes closed
When was it?
When was it last my heart lived on my sleeve
With conviction
And left to bleed
Like a declaration of independence from giving a damn
When was it?
‘Cause last I checked,
I’ve been working my rear to the bone.
Just check under my fingernails
The tree rings under my eyes
Or the limp in my heartbeat's syncopation
But what good is that?
What good is jumping
Still staring at the cliff behind me.
Not the clouds.
Not the sky.
Not the patchwork ground below me.
I ask, what good is that?


3 comments:

page66 said...

You have an entire life full of writing for clients.

But only one year left to be totally self-indulgent.

I've come to the conclusion that if you're going to this school for any reason other than your own selfish desire to make yourself better at whatever part of you needs improvement, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

That said, always (or at the very least, for the next year or so) write for yourself. Never for anyone else.

And when you get the chance, do it without a product logo placed at the end. More poetry. More writing with your logic shut off and your eyes closed. More you.

American Copywriter said...

Very. Nice.

MB said...

Hey Kris - long time no talk. I'm in the process of relaunching my blog, was hoping we could exchange links to get some traffic and keep tabs. Ive been chatting with Jules a lot, it sounds like this semster is ridiculous. Anyway, keep me posted. http://brandinginsanity.blogspot.com