Wednesday, September 17, 2008

How else should one spend a Friday night in Richmond

This past friday marked a milestone for me.

Along with my cohorts from Kelly O'Keefe's Cultural Exploration class, we ventured 20 minutes south from the familiar confines of rugged downtown Richmond. After barreling through the toll booth gauntlet of the Powhite Expressway, we made our way to a amplly-lit clearing in the woods, middle of no where, VA.

Upon arrival, we were welcomed by the smells of tread-marks, sweat and global warming that only a Friday night in the South can deliver. Unlike the rare venture or two to the drag races and demolition derbies of my high school days, this was different. This was the Southside Speed way.

I expected the same blandness that comes with drag races or demo derbies, but was pleasantly surprised. I actually had fun. I know, sounds crazy. But this equivalent of minor league NASCAR earned my respect. I was taken back by how talented the drivers were. And how much fun the crowd was while watching their friends, family or compatriots master 15 second laps along with 29 other cars on a track that was made for six.

All in all, you can't really go wrong with a few brews and a few good friends watching the tamer version of those oh so fun COPS the TV show high-speed chases, can you?

No comments: